April 04, 2012

BudBud ng Tanjay

Budbud from Tanjay
It did not actually came across my research before when I am preparing my itinerary for Dumaguete Trip this Holy week and thanks to Lolo Odo that he brought this up and be part of my gastronomic tour. He bought it on a nearby local market in Dumaguete City and served during my first day, breakfast time.

When it was served on the table together with the tsokolate, I actually did not feel any excitement or curios of its taste. Budbud is not new to me anymore, I have always eat this type of rice delicacy even in Zamboanga and since its a native visayan food. Budbud has always been part of our family gatherings and during special occasions like New Year (because it is believed that we should served a sweet sticky food before the coming of a new year for good luck) and during All Soul's Day where it has been our tradition to offer it to our loved ones who passed away. But this type of Budbud is different from the other that I tasted. Yes it has the same presentation, covered by a banana leaves and comes in pairs wrapped together by a string but its distinction is the inside.

According to a source (Negros Chronicle) , the reason that makes the Budbud from Tanjay apart from the rest suman-like delicacies is the passion for budbud making of the Tanjayanon Budbud makers. The dexterity and the desire to share a piece of Tanjay to the rest of the world makes the difference. Moreover, the oldest Tanjay BudBud maker in history is Madam Crescencia Noja Vda. de Castil and she was also partly accounted for the success of the BudBud ng Tanjay. Furthermore, I am also surprised to know that there is a festival being celebrated in Tanjay due to this popular glutinous rice. Its called the BudBud Festival and celebrated every December.







No comments: