April 05, 2012

Dauin Marine Sanctuary

Place: Dauin Marine Sanctuary, District 1. Municipality of Dauin
Date: April  5,9  2012


I believed that the Dauin Marine Sanctuary is already known both to local and foreign tourist. Before, I can still recount during my younger years that this place was a bit isolated. I mean, only the locals were seen enjoying the gray sand beach. But now, its a different story. More foreign tourists (some are koreans, canadians, europians but mostly americans) now trickled at this beach and even local tourists from nearby provinces were seen enjoying the water. Let us probably account these for the efforts of the Dauinanons for maintaining and improving this great beach attraction. 

One thing that made this beach stand out from the rest is not the gray powdery coastline, but it is the life underwater that is keeping these tourists coming back. I mean just a few meters away, you can now view the spectacle marine life with just a minimal fee. I remember back in 2007, when I dragged along my college friends from Zamboanga to this place. They were so amazed with what they saw, I mean there is no way we can compare this to our hometown. And we were so lucky that we sighted a sea turtle feeding on some sea grass that time. Even from shore, when you wear your goggles you can see Nemo (Clown Fish) and Doris (Blue Tang) swimming around you, Yes that exciting!

I have been to this place since I could remember and I bet my photos back in my childhood years can tell a lot of stories on this place that I can not anymore remember. One thing that I can still recall is the Bakokang. I don't know exactly the English or a formal name of this creature so I just type in what the locals call it. It is some kind of a sea bug/ beetle creature that burrows itself on the sand. What we do is we push the sand to the shore and little by little, remove the seawater and sand until only the beetle is revealed. Some locals eat it fresh and some have a variety of dishes to boast. Well, I tried eating it raw  but I can not anymore remember how it tasted and I don't want to try it anymore. Jemar, one of my cousins, ate it and said that it taste delicious. hmmm... some gastronomic (EXOTIC) tour next time maybe???? LOL

The signage that you should watch for
How to get here?

A Public utility vehicle bound for Dauin can be access at Dumaguete City Public Market fronting Banco de Oro (another landmark left of Bellfry Church). Tell the driver to drop you off at the Marine Reserve of Distric 1.See the image above. The fare is Php19. 


Other photos taken on the area.









No comments: