April 14, 2012

Tsada sa Dumaguete City

Date: April 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 2012


Summer is coming and the sun is waiting. And it is high time to hit the beach and have fun. And it so happen that my mom will be revisiting her folk's place in Dumaguete City. This city has always been close to my heart, not just by the fact that indeed it's my folk's hometown but as well, it is truly a place that offers everything not given by my grown home place. This is actually not my first or second or third time in this place, I have been here since I could remember; but there has always been an excitement feeling whenever I had the chance to revisit. There are lots of good old time memories spent here to treasure with forever. 

April 4 2012.    Departure

We left Zamboanga City by Rural bus at exactly 4am. I actually missed my sleep that time because I arrived from work around 12MN pass and had to stay awake till leaving the house. I was thinking of just pursuing my sleep on the bus (but I failed). The few remaining hours was solely for packing my things and updating my FB status.

At the bus station, we met 3 other companies (Lola Santa, Anti Mabeng, and Anti Nilda). It was actually a Topsy turvy decision wherein they had originally planned to join us then not then, abruptly called my mom at 9pm to tell her that they will be waiting for us at the bus station at 3am. And so they made it, they were even first to arrive and they had their coffee break already. 

Actually, there is another bus schedule that is routed directly to Dumaguete City. It is the Ceres Liner bus (Yellow in Color) and the fare is Php780. It left Zamboanga Bus Terminal a few minutes after our bus left. The good thing about it, is that you won't anymore have to step out from the bus and transfer to another vehicle and the conductors will be the one to transact with the boat authorities. That means, it is hassle free and the price will end up the same. But since we already pay our fare then we were left with no choice but to stay on the Rural Bus. As of this time, the bus fare to Dipolog City is Php380.

The bus ride was long and tough. A total of 9 hours of just sitting on a bus with some bents, curves, and stopovers. But the view was great and the weather is nice. Many have said that land trip via a public vehicle is dangerous especially on the lands passing through Zamboanga peninsula but the travel was totally safe. 

We arrvived Dipolog (The City of Orchids, like what I saw on a huge Signage) passed 12NN. We proceeded directly to their sea port in Puluan to have another boat ride to Dumaguete City. We rode the MV Montenegro Vessel together with the Ceres Bus Passengers and the fare is Php320.

We spent another 5hours of travelling with the ship. The ship was a total failure (so to speak). I mean I was expecting to arrive Dumaguete City by 5-6pm but because of a very slow poke move of the vessel, we arrived passed 7pm and it was almost dark. When I was about to get ready and prepare my things to leave, I was standing on their balcony and saw a huge pile of load. Yes it was because of the heavy load that the boat is carrying ( several bus and some 4 wheeled vehicles), in fact, I was dumbfounded, yes indeed it is a RORO boat and as such, this things should be expected. :)

Arrival area in Dumaguete Pier
Because it is really too late and the road to the Municipality of Dauin is dark (because of no street lights), we decided to just spent the night at Louilla's house in Rovinil Village, South Bagacay. There we had some few chitchats while munching on our late dinner and uploaded some few photos taken during the trip.

April 5 2012.   Swimming at the Beach

It was a good sleep because the bed was comfortable and the room was with a good ventilator. I was again energized from that gruelsome road trip yesterday. Mom was already at the table having breakfast with Lolo Odo and Lola Pila. I had a native rice delicacy (BudBud) from Tanjay. They bought it from a local market nearby. It was a mixture of a plain white and chocolote colored soaked sweetened glutinous rice wrapped and cooked in banana leaves. It comes in pairs wrapped together by a string. To know more about the BudBud, click BudBud ng Tanjay.

I went directly to the city proper right after I finished my breakfast to buy a sd memory card as my current 1gb memory card got busted. The card got busted when I used it with the PC of Lolo Odo last night then it got damaged. I thought of getting a new one since I have to document my travel by pictures. I have actually a hard time searching since I went to the city when most stores were still close. Till finally I bought it at Lee Plaza for Php495 for a 4GB, not bad deal actually since Unitop offers Php700+ for 1GB and Pick and Carry Php500+ 4GB offer.

Tricycle Drivers pronounce it as SouthBag
We went back to Lolo Odo's house in Rovinil Village and there we still catch up with the ride. Mom, Lolo Odo and Lola Pila were preparing to leave for Dauin. Our things were already packed up inside the van and poof were ready to go. We passed by a nearby lot of Louella on the same Barangay first some few blocks away and then, proceeded directly to Dauin.


There it goes again, the usual scent of Dauin. Something like a mixture of a refreshing (smells like leaves from trees) and musty odor (probably because of carabao's shit). Because of that familiar scent, this made me feel  happy because I know I already arrived.


When we hit our ancestral residence in Dauin (along District 2, La Independencia Street), I don't know what happen but the next thing I knew was that we were preparing to leave the house for a picnic on a shore nearby. I got so excited that I brought along my rubber duckie (Life Vest). At first, I was so hesitant to deep in the water, but it was so tempting that I ended swimming together with my family. It was my first time to swim with the life vest that I newly bought that it allowed me to reach the ropes stretch to the coral reefs. Unfortunately, I forgot to bring my goggles and underwater camera. I should have shown you the beauty of life in Dauin Marine Sanctuary under water. I got some burns, minor burns on my face especially on my cheeks. But I don't care, I had fun!!! Click Dauin Marine Sanctuary to know more about the place.

                                             A quick video of what Dauin coastline looks like


Baluarte, a rock formation in Apo Island
In the afternoon, I got a SMS message from Czarene inviting me to visit Apo Island that day and I felt excited. Apo Island is part of my must-see tour even before this trip. I had a chance before but I slip it out because some of my invited friends from Zamboanga were arriving that same day when we were about to leave for Apo Island. The second time was a failure because I was uncertain of my actions. But now this time, I must not slip this opportunity.


What I did? I immediately packed my things up and waited for Czarene's text. Some of my relatives discouraged me (that the waves are getting bigger in the late afternoon) but I insisted. I went straight to Malatapay Market and waited for the boat. And so, I finally arrived!!! I finally saw what the Dauinanons have been boasting to the world. To know more of what this Island is and what I did during my stay, click Apo Island, at Long Last!!! It was an overnight stay and I had fun.

April 6 2012....   Snorkeling in Apo Island


The group was excited and woke up early. We went straight to the shore nearby and snorkel. There we met two sea turtles and some other marine life. After that, we proceeded to our Island Tour but we run out of time that we had to cancel the visit to lighthouse. To know more of this day's activities, Click Apo Island, at Long Last!!!


Lake Placid?
At 11am, we have to leave Apo Island. I was sad knowing that the trip to this island will end. I had so much fun that I did not feel the hands of time. But at the same time, excited to share my photos to my friends taken on this island. We packed our things up and headed straight to the same spot (shore) where we arrived yesterday. There we met several passengers waiting for their boats to mainland Negros.

Say Bye Bye now!!!
We rented a medium sized boat with just enough room for 8 persons. Again, we had that thrill boat ride for 45minutes. The sea was just a bit calm but the water splash was there. And luckily, we arrived safe on the main land. But on the Malatapay Market, there were no available public vehicles so we waited for mom to fetch us. While waiting, we were musing on some tourists (foreigners and local) waiting for their rides to Apo while munching the cold Halo Halo. I saw their happy excited faces and were all talking about the island. :)

Back at home (Dauin) and since it was Good Friday, I prepared myself for the procession at the St. Nicholas Church. This is actually my second time to attend the procession in Dauin. It was not as long procession like in Zamboanga and there were only few carousel. But it was more solemn and traditional feel like procession. It was quite, prayers blasted from big sound systems were not heard, only from small groups sincerely praying the rosary along the way.


In the evening, I watched late night show on Entertainment Tonight featuring the old classic movie ET (The extra Terrestrial). It was a big hit back in my toddler years and I already forget the details of the show. And I was hooked into it and I felt young again. Truly, the magic of this movie never fades. The official soundtrack of the movie and the shoot wherein ET was covered by a blanket in a basket attached to the bicycle while they were escaping with the huge back draft of the full moon made me sooo young again. Drew Barrymore was at that time in her toddler years too and now, she's a big star in Charlie's Angels and so with the rest of the cast.

April 7 2012....    Dumaguete City Day Tour

Rizal Boulevard at 10AM
I woke up and went straight to their famous Rizal Boulevard. It was named after our National Hero, Dr. Jose Rizal. It is dubbed as the center of social life in the city. To know more of one of Dumaguete's attractions, click the Rizal Boulevard.

It is different with RT Lim Boulevard, The Rizal Boulevard has a huge walkway where one can have a safe stroll along and the huge century old acacia tree which might have been there since before the Spanish colonization. The old street lights contributed a lot to the quaint feel atmosphere of the city that I believed, is one of the reasons why the city became one of the best place to retire. Well, aside from the fact that it is known for a low crime rate city, it is also known for its laid back mood where one can have his time on his own pace while enjoying the amenities of the modern world.


On the north end of the boulevard, is another popular landmark of the city. The city is named as the university town and yes indeed, despite it's relative size it houses 4 university campus and several colleges. The biggest and the most popular of which is the Silliman University, which is covering mostly the area of the commercial district of Dumaguete City. This university is my dream school and I'm planning to pursue my masters in it. Its College of Nursing is one of the best college in the country with consistent high board passing rate in history. To know more of this University, click this Silliman University.


Next stop, was the Fried Ice Cream sold at Panda Ice Cream. It may not be a local/native delicacy of this city but is worth to try. Actually, I did not know it's existence in the city not until it was featured in Korina Sanchez's Sunday night show and my favorite Kapuso mo, Jessica Soho report and through word of mouth by my college friends. I then included it in my itinerary for this Holy Week Trip. Just in time after the stroll in the university under the high noon, this is a perfect relief. Now, to know my thoughts for this summer favorite in the city, click the Panda Fried Ice Cream link.


After the taste test with the fried ice cream, I rode a tricycle and brought me to the nearby St. Catherine of Alexandria Cathedral. It may sound like foreign but it is located along the busy Perdices Street fronting the Rizal Park in Dumaguete City. When I went there, church organizers where busy preparing the altar for the Easter Sunday the following day. Right next to the cathedral is the famous iconic landmark of Dumaguete City, the Bellfry. To know more of these two popular marker of the city, click Santa Catalina of Alexandria and Belfry.

Rizal Plaza
The Rizal Plaza is just right in front the church and belfry. There you could see statues of Maria Clara, Jose Rizal, and that bronze statue of a man. I remember back in my toddler years that mom used to drag me here to wait for our service tricycle and she allowed us to play at the play ground. Today, there were still see saws, swings, etc I saw but they were rusty now. And that red vintage car that interest me when I saw in one of my ASSP friends' uploaded photo in facebook.

Unknown Statue
Japaneses Red Vintage Car
  










The Tourism Office of Dumaguete is located here in Rizal Plaza. There you can ask informations for your DIY Dumaguete Tour. There were several locals seen in the area killing time. I have also seen some girls doing a walk rehearsal on a stage, probably they are joining a beauty contest. 

While having my feet rest in the plaza, I received a message from my sister, Annaleen asking my whereabouts. She wanted to join my day tour in the city and so I went to Robinsons Dumaguete and waited her there. Oh yes, I have to include that the pedicab fare is just cheap, Php9. Back in Zamboanga, they charge their passengers an exorbitant fare price, probably because they wont get anymore passengers. But here in Dumaguete, one tricycles can have as much passengers even though they are not your companions, truly living up to its brand, Public Utility Vehicle.


I went to there Netopia Branch (2nd Floor near Movieworld)  while waiting for my sister and updated my FB status and some stuff. Then after an hour, we met at the main entrance. I thought of eating at the Sans Rival Robinsons Branch but I insisted to have it on their main branch and I was still at that time full. We rode a pedicab back to the cathedral and were actually looking for the Allied Bank ATM. It was just right infront Metrobank near Holy Child Hospital. After that, we proceeded to Super Lee and shop at their grocery store ground floor for tomorrow's prayers. While my sister was busy musing, I went to their uppermost floor and had Strawberry Milkshakes from Icelandia. When she was finished, we went to Sans Rival Main Branch.


I actually ordered a lot when I was there. There were actually a lot of choices to choose from and I can not resist the others. And I had a blast. I mean I was so full that I did not anymore had my dinner and breakfast the following day that time. To know my verdict for the Dumaguete's most famous cake, click Sans Rival Cakes and Pastries post.

My orders just for myself :)
After the day city tour, we went back to Dauin, located 15km from the city south of Dumaguete. It is a 15-minutes ride by a private vehicle and some 20-30 minutes by easy ride. When we arrived, we missed this photo shoot after they finished the decoration of the carousel of St. Vicente Ferrer and brought it to the nearby church of St. Nicholas for blessing.

Salakot: at the back of the residence
It has been a family tradition to celebrate the feast of St. Vincent de Ferrer every April and this originally rooted back to our elders. In fact, our Image of St. Vicente Ferrer has been part of our family since my forefathers and has been handed down through generation and generation until present times. And St Vincent Ferrer has continually showered us with blessings and graces and some miracles, so to speak. That is why the devotion to the Saint got stronger and stronger and has been handed over to the present generation.

San Vicenete de Ferrer
This year, the image is ornated by orchids that Mom brought from Zamboanga. That is why the orchids started to wither when we used it. Before, they would used santans and other flowers that were just pick up from neighbors. The carousel is now personally made by Uncle VicVic with a wheel in it so that we wont be carrying it anymore.

April 8 2012.   Easter Sunday and Bacolod Trip Failure

St Nicholas de Tolentino Church in Dauin
This was not actually my first time to hear visayan mass in this church but it did sound foreign to my ears. The same as well goes to hearing Chavacano prayers back in Zamboanga, it is as if I was in a wrong era or wrong place. Some would jokingly said that it is as if a certain catastrophe is coming (excuse their description). But this was special since it was my first time to attend an Easter Sunday Celebration uttered in visayan language and we were one of the sponsors of the mass.

a pose after the mass
After the mass, we took our carousel and drag it along the streets of Dauin to our residence. Coincidentally, a certain wedding celebration was held across the street. We were invited by the host and had our lunch there. Then the rest of the afternoon were spent on preparing the viands and prayer this afternoon while watching the Avatar movie.

At 5pm, cantoras (like what Dauinanons call them) started to arrive and around 6pm, we started the prayer. It was a one hour prayer for San Vicente Ferrer speaked in Visayan language. Then we had a little banquet at our dining area.

We were (Bregette, Erika, Dotcom and me) actually preparing for our one-day Bacolod trip and Pearlie (Bregette's friend from Bacolod) was waiting for us. And it is high time spending it in Bacolod in time for their Panaad Festival. We waited at the Ceres Bus Terminal in Dumaguete at 11pm pass. But unluckily, the bus arrived late. We were actually waiting starting 11pm but it arrived 2am pass and considering the 6-7 hours travelling time to Bacolod, we will arrive at 9am approximately. We cancelled the trip since we only got less than 10 hours exploring the city with the trip limit until 7pm for me to arrive back in Dumaguete before 2am for my next trip back to Zamboanga at 3am the following day. Confusing isn't it? LOL. It was a confusing decision and I eventually gave up and cancelled the trip. We rode the bus routed to Bayawan back to Dauin.

April 9 2012

St Anthony de Padua Church Sibulan
We never miss visiting the miraculous St. Anthony de Padua Church in Sibulan whenever in Negros Oriental. It is considered as one of Negros Oriental religious attraction. Many devotees not just from Negros and nearby provinces but as far as Mindanao and even New York were seen around the church and pays tribute to the miraculous saint. To know why I had such must-visit-whenever-in-Dumaguete attitude towards the church, click San Antonio de Padua.



Since we had not taken our breakfast and it was pass 10am, we proceeded directly to McDonalds near the Rizal Plaza. I thought of drinking my favorite four seasons float but they do not offer it yet in their branch and I even got a wrong answer from the cashier where she pointed out that McDonalds does not have that kind of float. L But anyways, I just had a chicken burger, coke float and fries while the rest had their own orders.

After a short break, Mom and I went to a nearby souvenir shop (Handumanay) where I bought some keychains, shirt and some other items for my colleagues back in Zamboanga. We have that kind of habit of giving some items from the place we visited until it finally became an obligation. LOL


We headed straight to Lolo Odo house in Rovinil and spent some few hours resting while the kids were busy playing on the lawn. Afterwhich, we went back to Dauin where we continued the aftercare of the kitchenwares used from yesterdays prayer.

At 4pm, we went to the nearby Dauin Marine Reserve (the same spot where we spent the Day1) and watched locals playing around. I did not know that Frisbee is a hit among the locals. There were also foreign tourist doing their late afternoon scuba and snorkeling activities while others had their siestas on shore.

At 6pm, we went to the local cemetery and lighted candles and offer prayers to our departed families. I noted that the new local cemetery in Dauin is jam-packed. I mean, to the point of stepping over the tombs to pass. This is not new to me anymore anyways but the said cemetery this time is worse compared in 2010 when I last visited. (But this is not the worst I saw, Zamboanguita Cemetery is much worse, I mean worst ever) I hope the local authorities would look onto it and give the departed a dignified burial site.

At 9pm, I was starting to pack my things and prepared for my solo return trip to Zamboanga at early dawn.

April 10 2012  Sayonara Dumaguete!!!

No comments: