April 07, 2012

Silliman University

Place: Silliman University, Dumaguete City. Negros Oriental
Date: April 7 2012


It is because of Horace Silliman's financial contribution that mark the humble beginning of the Silliman University. It is the oldest american protestant private institution in the country and is registered as a National landmark by the NHI. 


This was not my first time to visit the University. I once walked on the aisle of the SU College of Nursing as a reviewee during our Special retake issue for the Nursing Licensure Examination wayback in June 2006. When I went there for this trip, I was permitted by the guards to enter and freely roam around. I presented my ID and they gave me their Visitor's pass.

Silliman University Church
Actually, I got entice on the settings when one of my ASSP friends uploaded her photos taken from the SU Church. I loved the scenery with the age-old church plus the greenery lush of the lawn and the century old acacia tree.

Hall in Silliman University Anthropology Museum
The Silliman Anthropolgy Museum is located in one of the oldest structure in the university, the Silliman Hall. According to a trivia given by Cebu Pacific, this is the oldest wooden structure of american architecture  in the Philippines that has some materials salvaged from a theater in New York. 

Silliman University Hall
When I went there, it was a holiday and nobody was around and so I had cold feet when I walked along the hallway of this museum. Especially, it was Black Saturday when Jesus' body was laid on the tombs. Naturally, the museum is closed that time. But for the benefit of those who wants to visit this museum, I took a photo of their schedule posted outside the main entrance door.


According to my cousin, the museum houses several interesting finds like medicinal plants, archeological finds from nearby towns (Bacong, Bayawan), historic photos on the gallery, and a voodoo doll that was confiscated by the authorities in Siquijor.


The photo above explains the summary of the humble beginning of the Silliman University.

Silliman University Map
After I get disappointed with the failed trip in the museum, I went straight to the SU College of Nursing. I used the map that was posted along the walkways of the university. When I was musing on the map, I realized that the university is really big. Imagine, it covers a total land area of 33 hectares in the commercial district of Dumaguete City. That must be where the city got its nick name "The University Town". Social life, Night Life-center of the city and most business establishments were just a stone's throw away from the university.


The SU College of Nursing is not new to me. Like I said, I had my review here before the Special Retake for our Nurse Licensure Examination last December 2007. The college is known for the quality nursing education they offer that gave a continuous high percentage markings in the board examination. And they proudly display their Center of Excellence in Nursing Education marking on the entrance gate that was granted by CHED.


Beside the SU College of Nursing lies the SU Library. It is a three story building. I came across (during my reading) with the fact that this library aims to be a learning resource center of excellence. According to my friend, it has voluminous references especially about Filipiniana. 


Roaming around the university even at noon time is never a problem. The infinite number of acacia trees scattered throughout the university gives shades on the path-walk. But the main problem is.... the sintiquero.  Good thing, I was not a victim of this super-duper-itchy-causing creature. Look at the photo below. 



Back to Tsada sa Dumaguete main post.....






No comments: