April 09, 2012

San Antonio de Padua Church

Place: San Antonio de Padua Church, Sibulan, Negros Oriental
Date: April 9 2012

St. Anthony de Padua Church, Sibulan
San Antonio de Padua Church is one of the most visited church in Negros Oriental. Devotees from all over the province, including us from Mindanao, really do pass by, light candles and offer prayers. The church ground especially fills up every 13th day of the month. Well, I have attended mass and witnessed the crowd on the 13th of July last 2008. Indeed, there were numerous devotees seen not only inside the church but as well, outside its premises (on the candle lighting area) and even the plaza fronting this church. Probably this accounts for the miraculous being shown by St Anthony to his devotees. I, for one, can attest to his graces when I took my NCLEX in 2008. To tell you the truth, I just prepared for the exam lightly and not giving much efforts on my review. In fact, I was just carelessly roaming around Manila, Dumaguete and Cebu three(3) months before the said exam but I passed (and I passed at 75 questions). My mom and grandma had their stories to tell as well. I also saw devotees dress in skirt just like the monks from Tibet in a certain movie. But the difference is that it is not red but brown which is associated to the Saint. They do also dress their kids with this color brown skirts.

I do not only see devotees, but I also noted certain nursing students from St. Paul's University on their booth for a free BP checking and check-up. I bet the Clinical Instructor and/or even their dean is a believer of St. Anthony de Padua.

When I went there this year, as expected, there was no mass and only few devotees seen around. Church organizers where seen busy cleaning maybe an aftercare from yesterdays Easter Sunday Celebration.

St Anthony de Padua Altar
This church is located in Sibulan, a municipality right after Dumaguete north. One can not get lost as the place can easily be spotted since its near the town's center (Municipal Hall and Plaza).

Back to Tsada sa Dumaguete main post.









No comments: