October 01, 2011

Luneta Park

Luneta Park
I was not updated with the latest news being aired in the television when I was in Manila but accordingly that Bagyong Quiel was expected to hit the land that day (October 1, Saturday). The result: we ended up with a not so good city tour (LOL). Shelanne was blaming herself of postponing the trip yesterday which supposedly had a perfect day for the tour but I understand her personal reasons regarding her application for KSA (that she felt sad when only her colleague got a call from their agency and she did not). Good thing, I was always prepared. I brought with me Aunt Marcelina's umbrella and my jacket (but the umbrella didn't last long as seen in the picture below hehehe) and I was walking really that slow because it was very slippery, imagine walking on a glassy marble finish floor with my slippers on a rainy windy day.

When Bagyong Quiel hit Manila
I was star strucked when I was infront of the said national landmark. I mean that was my first time on the said landmark and I am so amazed that finally the real life statue is infront of me that I only see it on postcards and internet. There were several group of young photographers as well on the area. I think they were on a field trip and their mission is to take pictures. And we (with Shelane) act as if we're one of them that we also took pictures of the area including ourselves. But the only difference is that I only have a cheap point and shoot camera while theirs was that of a prof like a dslr.

Well, so much for my misfortune. Rizal Park, also known as Luneta Park, is a historical site located along Roxas Boulevard fronting the Manila Bay. Known before during the Spanish regime as Bagumbayan, where Jose Rizal, Philippines' National Hero was shot to dead on December 30, 1896 that sparks the Philippine Revolution and where his remains lie and is also the place where our Independence was declared from the US government.

According to Wikipedia, the park was named Luneta (from the spanish word Lunette) because of its crescent shape. I do not know about it, but by the looks of the park, it is more rectangular for me. The monument is made up of bronze and granite that was designed by Richard Kissling, a swiss sculptor in his "Motto Stella" or Guiding Star Theme, the second place winner during the International Design Competition last 1905 - 1907. The original winner was Carlos Nicoli of Carrara, Italy besting 40 other entries from different European and american participants, but the contract was awarded to the second placer.


Kilometer Zero

The Independence Flagpole, which is just infront the monument is the highest flagpole in the Philippines(According to the Wikipedia site) and across the road south is the historic Quirino Grandstand, the usual place for the oath taking for the newly elected Presidents. And the first to swear in this place was the late President Quirino which was later renamed after him (known before as Independence Grandstand). This is also what is known as the kilometer zero which means it is the starting point for all measurements in distances in the Philippines.



The lush green lawn and ornamental plants in the park is well maintained by our national government which is a perfect site for family picnic and datings. I also found a mini vehicle that is form like a train but I think it is not functional that time and I was advised to wait until the rain stops but I only have limited time. There were also several statues on the scene like this one with a mother and child theme.



Along the park, is the mighty Statue of Lapu Lapu or the Statue of the Sentinel of Freedom, that was a gift from the people of Korea as appreciation and to honor the memory of freedom loving Filipinos who helped during the Korean War in the early 1950s (as inscribed in the plaque and according to Wikipedia). I believe that the statue of LapuLapu is much bigger than the Rizal Monument. 

There were also several government offices in the area like this one below.


I was so excited to see the honor guards or what Wikipedia call them the "Kabalyeros de Rizal" or Knights of Rizal because when I was still a child and during my elementary days, our teacher said that these soldiers never move all day and all night and never leave their post even at the worst of the weather (whether rain or heat) but I was proven wrong (LOL). Of course, who wouldn't sympathize these soldiers when you see them all wet under these craziest storms while guarding the monument. A certain structure on the side of the monument is where these guards are standing.

One thing that I will really not forget was this strong air current that swept this huge rain drops and my pants and shirt got wet plus it broke my fragile umbrella. That was my first time to experience storm surge and we do not have the back in Zamboanga ( I mean that strong). Probably you might contradict me, but most of the time, the eye storm rarely pass Zamboanga Peninsula. If we have, probably just a tail of the storm. And this brought me to thinking as to why Spaniards first establish and made their strong force hold in Luzon which is frequently visited with calamities and pave way to the current capital city. Truly Mindanao is a Land of promise. A promising land that is the key of the country's progress as what a certain university professor said. To quote, "the wealth of the Philippine is in Mindanao" and I absolutely agree with that. If only Peace and Order is alive here in Mindanao then stability and development is never a impossible mission. LOL just venting :)

How to get here?
Rizal Park is a well known place in Manila and all Manilenos know this place so you could easily ask anyone for direction. The park is located between Intramuros, northen part of Roxas Boulevard. TM Kalaw Avenue and Taft Avenue. It is also accessible by riding the LRT Line-1 and drop at UN Station. It is just a walking distance from that point. Taxis from any point is Manila are the easiest means to get there too. Or you could ride a jeep that says Harrison Plaza, Luneta, Manila Hotel route on the signage.

Please click................  Back to My Gay (Misadventure) Manila Trip 2

No comments: