October 01, 2011

Minor Basilica of the Black Nazarene




The famous Quiapo Church or the St John the Baptist Church or officially known as the Minor Basilica of the Black Nazarene has been a smash mouth by most people especially during the Month of January wherein it celebrates its festival Translacion or the transfer of the image from Luneta to Quiapo. I have seen the church on televisions only which they feature the said festival/procession with millions of devotees participating. I have little known facts about this festival, and one thing that I can remember is the Black Nazarene, the church patron, being pulled out from the church with a certain red abaca rope that is being spread to its bare footed devotees and the statue is brought to various places in Quiapo. The devotees will try anything just to get through this ropes and some had the chance to touch the statue and believe to have a miraculous effects.

The photo above was taken while I was standing in Plaza Miranda, a public plaza infront of the church which is a popular site for rallies. I did not have the chance to have a photo shoot while I was inside this church, the security guards were so strict that even using the cellphone was strictly prohibited inside. But as far as I can remember, it is the only church that I have attended with railings along each aisle. I am not quite sure about its purpose but I believe that this serves as a guide maybe for the churchgoers when they have their holy communion to give way as well to others, I mean to separate those who are done and those on the line. I received my communion from the officiating priest himself.

Actually, this is not my first time to see the church, I saw this last year 2010 but seen it by just a glance while I was on a taxi cab passing the Quezon Boulevard infront the church. Now this time I get inside the church and attended mass. The church is bigger than I thought, I mean it looks bigger inside than outside. It was also my first time to attend the mass on this church in Tagalog and it felt so awkward because I am not use to listen Tagalog masses (just like my first time to hear Visayan Masses in Dauin). After the mass, I followed several devotees and they aligned themselves along the aisle wherein the priest sprinkle them with holy water while the hymn for the Black Nazarene was being sung and their arms waving to the statue in the altar. From the research that I have made, the hymn was made by Lucio San Pedro entitled Nuestro Padre Jesus Nazareno. (I made this act too and was following other churchgoers.)



This is just a replica of the Image of  Black Nazarene. The original statue has came all the way from Mexico by a galleon brought by the first group of Augustinian Recollects. It is a life-sized, dark colored, wooden statue sculptured by an aztec.

Outside this church is a famous shopping destination among those who seek for bargain prices. It is equivalent to Divisoria and Baclaran. You can find almost anything in this place and I mean everything. From rtws, to food, to toys and home appliances. And I also saw stalls that offers services that will give you fake documents and even sex toys. Shelanne bought an abaya and tarha and I bought a statue of the Black Nazarene that is now on our altar at home.

How to get here?
Almost everyone knows the place so it is easy to spot this church. Just ride a jeep bound to quiapo, look for the signage that says quiapo then you are set to go. You can also ride the LRT Line-1 and drop at Carriedo Station and you can just walk your way to the church.

Please click .......................  Back to My Gay (Misadventure) Manila Trip Part 2

No comments: